September 23 – October 03, 2018
An in-depth look at the link between poverty and human trafficking and the power of community development
This journey, rich in culture and history, takes you from the archeological wonders of Angkor Wat, to the bustling streets of Hanoi, then onto the picturesque terraced terrain of Sapa— the fertile, northernmost region of Vietnam. While this region of SE Asia offer staggering beauty in so many forms, it ranks among the poorest in the world. The intergenerational post traumatic effects of the Khmer Rouge and Vietnam War are still tangible today and have resulted in extreme poverty and a lack of education. Effects of this destruction are seen in a widespread weakening of the family and community networks and a vulnerability to human trafficking, now one of the faster growing industries Couple your historical and cultural exploration of these magnificent yet complex countries with a deep dive into the issues surrounding poverty, gender-discrimination and human trafficking. Meet with GoPhil Foundation’s carefully vetted group of courageous change-makers, local non-profits working hard to rebuild a stronger families, communities and futures through community-driven education and empowerment programs.
- Visit the funky French colonial town of Siem Reap, Cambodia and the famous Temples of Angkor Wat
- Meet with three inspiring community programs working to prevent human trafficking, empow- er women and families, strengthen family units and improve the job ready skills of young people in order to help them secure bright futures and be less vulnerable to trafficking.
- Learn about the challenges that face vulnerable people, the root causes that make them prone to exploitation, and the work that is being done to support and protect people against trafficking.
- Explore the highlights of the bustling, ancient city of Hanoi
- Travel by luxury overnight train to Sapa—renowned for its ethnic minority hill tribes
- Learn how social enterprises contribute to the prevention of human trafficking
- Enjoy comfortable, beautiful and authentic 4-star accommodations throughout the journey.
- Optional privately guided extensions to Luang Prabang (Laos), Halong Bay (VN) and/or Hoi An (VN) available upon request.